Friday, June 10, 2011

This is Entry 205: The New DC, Part 4

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This is the second time this month I've posted twice in a day but as I mentioned today DC released the images for the *new* Superman, Supergirl & Superboy titles, which can be seen Here.

I guess they aren't changing the "S" on his costume it was just drawn weird on the JLA cover. :) As for my reactions of the super costume changes over all: I think the top half of Superman's costume looks fine (it's different but fine), not liking it from the waist down. Supergirl's new costume looks... interesting, not really liking the boots but I do like the cape. And Superboy is now an android or something. And with those last titles: Action Comics, Superman, Supergirl & Superboy. All 52 of the rebooted titles have been announced.

But there is 1 title (well.. 2 titles) that are not on that list. Those 2 titles are Booster Gold & Power Girl. Looking at the what they have announced I'll still be able to see Booster monthly in Justice League International & I'm fine with that since I'll still be able to see him on a monthly basis in book relaunched book I was enjoying. Hopefully there is a enough time in his own book after Flashpoint to tie up some plot threads before the reboot so the readers of the book (Me & others) can fell that the plot threads weren't just dropped because of the reboot. I do wonder if any of the status quo from Booster's book will carry over (Will he continue being a "time cop"? What happens to Rip Hunter? More importantly what happens to Rani?)

But I have yet to read where I might be able to the continuing adventures of Kara Zor-L/Karen Starr: Power Girl!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Sketch of Power Girl drawn for me by Artist Colleen Coover at Emerald City ComiCon 2010.

I would have thought that if her book was continuing on that she would be announced with the other the Super titles since that is her linage (she is from Krypton after all! One from an alternate dimension but Krypton none the less). Also if she don't have her own title where might she show up? In the Justice Society book? That, like her own book, is apparently being cancelled since it wasn't listed as reboot title. Where might she end up?

Will she even be around? It happens anytime a reboot happens: Some characters are altered & other just disappear. But I'd think that would happen to Power Girl, what with her being a popular character. But I don't know. I wasn't there when they decided on what was New DC & what wasn't.

I've enjoyed both books & have had a some healthy run. Booster Gold has run for 47 issues. Power Girl has run for 24 issues. They are bound to have a few more put out before the reboot. This might mean that each will reach a milestone. Power Girl will get to Issue 25 & I think I know what that issue will be able. One I've been excited to read. Booster might not reach Issue 50. That is 3 issues away & the reboot happens in 2 months so until they ship 2 issues in a 1 month he might not make it. So, I might not get any meaningful resolution in either book. It would be nice but I'm not sure if I'll get it.

I'll just have to continue to do as I have done: continue to watch, read & hope for the best.

---------


Out of the 52 rebooted titles, here are the 10 I'm thinking about checking out:

- DC Universe Presents: Written by Paul Jenkins. Art by Bernard Chang. The sole anthology book. I like anthologies & I liked the old "DC Comics Presents" series.
- Justice League International: Written by Dan Jurgens. Art by Aaron Lopresti. I was already planing on picking up this book anyways before the reboot was announced. Plus, It's got Jurgens on the book!
- Justice League Dark: Written by Peter Milligan. Art by Mikel Janin. I waant to see what exactly this book is all about.
- The Flash: Written by Francis Manapul & Brian Buccellato. Art by Francis Manapul & Brian Buccellato. I like the Flash.
- Catwoman: Written by Judd Winick. Art by Guillem March. I enjoy both Judd's & Guillem's work.
- Batgirl: Written by Gail Simone. Art by Ardian Syaf & Vicente Cifuentes. I want to see how they get her up & about.
- Batwoman: Written by J.H. Williams III & Haden Blackman. Art by Amy Reeder. As with the JLI was already planning on picking this up anyways.
- All-Star Western: Written by Jimmy Palmiotti & Justin Grey. Art by Moritat. I don't read many westerns but the promotional text sounds interesting.
- Suicide Squad: Written by Adam Glass. Art by Marco Rudy. Interested in see what this is & where it goes.
- Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE: Written by Jeff Lemire. Art by Alberto Ponticelli. It's looks like it could be good.

Yes. The 10 titles I'd be willing to check out, the other 42 don't really hold much interest. Now I might also check them out but at this point in time & from what little I've read these are the ones that interest me.

Hmmm... I said I wanted to do more here on the Blog & This marks the 6th post for the month. Thanks DC! :)

Until next time: Stay Jazzy!

- Brian

No comments: