Wednesday, June 8, 2011

This is Entry 203: The New DC, part 2

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I'm back with more comments on the forth coming rebooting of the DC Comics Universe!

But first some links:
- Lewis Luvhaug (Linkara of Atop the Fourth Wall) wrote up some of his feeling towards the reboot over on his Blog.
- My go to spot for commentary & news surrounding the reboot is Comics Alliance. They recently put up an break down of all the time DC has righted it's self over the years which can be read here.

-----


I've been following the announcements of the New DC over at their Blog: The Source & over the couple of days they have been posting images relating to the 52 new books they are launching at the end of the summer. I'd now like to give some of my comments about the images.

Let's start off with the Justice League:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The 1st image DC showed us of this brave new world we are entering into. It was also out first image to see what's changed in this new world where some people have gotten "new" costumes. I put quotes on the word new since most of these are the old costumes with some changes. Superman now has a collar, an altered "S" & maybe new outer underpants. They have alerted Wonder Woman's costume a bit more (still wearing pants) but giving her an armband & choker.

This line-up is back to a more classic line-up then what they have at the moment. They are only missing Martian Manhunter (who I have yet to see where he fits into the new DC). They have added someone new to the League: Cyborg, a character who I'll always see as a Teen Titan not matter what else he does. He has gotten some new cyborgy elements. The rest of the group all seem to have basically their "classic" costumes with some minor tweaks to them.

Next up: Justice League International:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Fresh off their time in the Justice League: Generation Lost book, the JLI is back! And most everyone looks ok. Except for Booster Gold: What on Rao's green Krypton is he wearing?

That was my first reaction to the costume but I've had sometime to take it all in & there is only a few things I didn't like about: It's the mask & the "w" around his neck. If they when with the more classic mask & maybe had the collar from the '80's: I could be good with the costume. I kind of like the sleeves.

Let's talk about the rest of the team: Batman (yes, he's on the JLI & the JL), Rocket Red (most likely the one they might in JL:GL), Fire & Ice (can't have one without the other!), Vixen (which a slightly modifired costume since last I saw her), Guy Gardner (because you need a Lantern on your team & he with the team before), Dude in the back with the spear (He is/was a member of that team from China) & Other Lady! I'm not sure who she is. My first thought is that it's Troia but that's a complete guess.

2 people who were part of JL:GL that aren't presented are Captain Atom & Blue Beetle. I know where Atom is (in his one book) but I have yet to see where DC has put Jaime Reyes (BB's real name). He was with the group when Generation Lost ended & hopefully the new JLI book will fill us in on what's up to. But since it's Reboot I wouldn't put it beyond DC to make Ted Kord (who's currently dead) back as BB. Maybe even put a resurrected, younger Ted Kord in the Beetle armor. They's why people can have the "best" of both worlds! (read last line with a heavy dose of sarcasm).

Next Justice League team, the one I wonder who it's exactly for: The Dark Justice League... oh... wait... this isn't Marvel & they aren't evil, just magical: Justice League Dark:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Yes. a number of the magically inclined members of the DCU joining together to form their own Justice League! It's Deadman, John Constantine, Shade the Changing Man, Madame Xanadu & (maybe) Zatanna together at least! As I said earlier I'm not sure who these book is aimed at. They aren't big name/well known characters but a few do have fan bases. I sure how that in the book they don't actually call themselves "Justice League Dark" because that sounds kind of stupid. I don't even know if this group will be interacting with the other Leagues, their worlds don't seem to go together.

Moving on...

Let's talk some Batman!

Recently there have been a bunch of Batmen running around the world. What with they all be incorporated & such. Most of them have had names other then "Batman" but there had been 2 people sharing that name: Bruce Wayne & Dick Grayson. In the new DCU, Dick goes back to being Nightwing!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I don't have much to say about the costume, it's looks fine. With the red (instead of the the normal blue) it reminds me a bit of the costume Chris O'Donnell wore in the "Batman & Robin" movie. Not sure the costume needs the arm thingies. I don't know what to call them, the things poking out of his gloves. I guess they & the boots are a hold over from his time as Batman.

Next up: Batgirl!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

After more then 20 years, Barbara Gordon is getting up out of the wheelchair & taking back the mantle of Batgirl! This does make he wonder what will happen to Stephanie Brown (the current Batgirl). Almost I'm not sure I like the costume Miss. Gordon is sorting. Sure, it's reminiscent of her old costume but it looks too shiny. There is a bat around her neck & I'm not sure what it is: It sort of looks like it would be part of a necklace but I don't see the rest of the necklace. To read an article about Barbra taking back Batgirl, go here.

About here being Batgirl: I'm not sure. I haven't read a lot of comics with her in them, either in or out to the bat costume. This does seem to be the biggest change DC is making.

Next up the Batman of Africa:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Batwing!

I haven't read any of the comics he's been but.... I think the name & costume are a bit stupid. This sort of feelings like "Batman's answer to Steel". Now I haven't read anything with him in it so I don't know if that's what he is. But he's getting his own series! Steel had his own series, didn't he?

We are almost at the the end of the images I've seen that I'd like to talk about & these 2 best represent a feeling I've been having: DC wants to bring their characters into the 21st Century then why do I feel like we are back in the 1990's again?

These are the Teen Titans:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The art & the costumes all scream to me: We are from the 1990's & X-TREME TO MAX!

This is Red Hood & the Outlaws:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Which seem like a more X-TREME version of "Batman & the Outsiders". Red Arrow/Arsenal's hat don't help the 90's feel any. Also, it's appears he has grown back his arm.

Now I haven't seen anything for the new Superman books (Other then Supes' new look from the Justice League cover) so I'm still wondering what the fates of Power Girl & Supergirl are. I'll most likely post about that when I find out & I'm also most likely going to make a few other posts about this New World will be heading into.

Until then: Stay Jazzy!

- Brian

No comments: