Friday, May 16, 2008

This is Entry 38: Comics!

Ok, I lied a bit. I'm not going to talk about the comics I got at the Con but the comics I've gotten outside of the Con. Old comics can wait but the new ones' can't.

So, we have 3 sections to cover: Marvel, DC & Other.

---------


So, we start off with:

Photobucket

So picked up the first issue of Guardian of The Galaxy & it picks up shortly after where Annihilation Conquest left off. The art is by Paul Pelletier, who's art I've enjoy such books as She-Hulk, Exiles & in the Great Lakes Avengers mini-series from a few years back. Maybe I haven't seen his art in a while, I've remember his art wrong or maybe he's doing something different with his art: but it looks a bit different. Sure, it's still good but different then I remembered. Also, just from this issue, I'm getting an Exiles vibe from the book, which isn't bad but hopefully that vibe subsides.

Avengers: The Initiative #12 is a changing of the guard issue, in fact that's even the name of the story in side. :) It deals with the fallout from what been happening in the last few issues. There's a funeral that doesn't exactly go as planned, the recruits graduate (so that means next issue we get new characters!)

There is one page that I thought was especially funny (it does spoil an event in the issue, sorry):

Photobucket

New up are 3 Secret Invasion tie-ins': New Avengers #40, Mighty Avengers #13 the first issue of Captain Britain and MI13. Now i don't normally read NA but the like the over of the Skrulls starting from the end of the Kree-Skrull war to around now. The revelation was what really sold me on the issue. Now I have been read MA again it's another issue with nary an Avenger in side, we continue the story of where Nick Fury has been since he lead his "Secret War a few years back. This issue he's gathering a team together, it's quite an eclectic team. I haven't been a big fan of the art from past 2 issues by it's kind of interesting. CBaMI13 it's the british side of theSecret Invasion.

Last up for Marvel are 2 views into the future: American Dream #1 & GeNext #1. AD takes places in the mostly defunct MC2 universe (the only book that is still monthly from that Universe in Spider-Girl). For those not in the know: it's takes place in 15 years in the future (This is 15 years in the future as of 1998), most of the heroes & the villians have retired, died, etc. There is a new generation of heroes & running running around. GN is set 30 years in the future & is about the future's set of X-Men, most of then are some how connected to X-Men of the past.

---------


Up next is:

Photobucket

First up is the book many fanboys have been wetting them selves over (mostly the last page), it's DC Universe 0 & the book is only 50 cents & gives previews of all the event s DC has coming his summer (there are alot!) Speaking of events, DC put out a sketch book for Final Crisis & I was looking at on the bus. As I did the guy across from saw what what I was looking at. We started up a conversation & it was probably the best comics related conversation I've had in awhile. Thanks, Doug!

Action Comics #864 is a nice bridge book between the Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes story that just concluded & the upcoming Legion of Three Worlds mini-series that's coming up later this year (it's one of those summer events).

Issue 9 of Booster Gold came out & next issue looks to be good given the last page.

---------


I picked up 3 Non Marvel & Non DC books:

2 are Who centric comics: Doctor Who Classic #6 (sorry, no truly funny post worth panels this issue) & Doctor Who #4.

Issue 10 of Maintenance came out & the cover is really cool:

Photobucket

---------


So that's it for New stuff. When i get back from my trip I'll probably go over the Books from the Con. I will say this about the books: Kool-Aid Man. What do I mean? Check back & find out!

As always: Stay Jazzy!

-Brian

No comments: