Wednesday, June 4, 2008

This is Entry 40: More Comics!

Wow. I've made 40 entries.

This post will be what this blog has been predominately about: Comics! I'm going to try & knock out but the new Books & the back issues I have (most of them, are from the Emerald City ComiCon).

So, first up the new stuff. I'm going to be a bit lazy & not use the icon this time.

SIDE NOTE: Some of these new comics I bought while on Vacation. So a shout to the Antiquarium in Jefferson City, Missouri (JC is also the capitol city of Missouri). Since I am shouting out Comic stores. A big shout out to Dreamstrands Comics & Zanadu Comics here in Seattle, they are the 2 stores I most frequent. I do go to other stores (The Comic Stop in Lynnwood, Corner Comics in Kenmore to name 2) but these are the that receive most of my business.

DC

I wasn't sure Kingdom Come centric story line that has been running in Justice Society of America when it started. But know it's turning to something rather interesting. It's nice that they didn't just do a retread of sorts. I hope after this story line is done that the Superman from Earth 22 (The Kingdom Come earth) returns home because I don't think we need 2 Superman on New Earth (or whatever DC is calling the main DCU's earth at the moment).

So I checked out a Kids' book that DC is putting out: DC Super Friends, it's based off a line of toys Mattel put out. The toys & the books feature a simplified version of the Justice League. Name harkens back to the much beloved 1970's Cartoon of the similar name but this much simpler. This each features the Friends fighting Felix Faust, he has magic finger puppet that can control the Friends (the book has finger puppets you can cut out & play with which I thought an inspired kids activity). So, near the end their is a some what puzzling panel:

Photobucket

The Friends dressed up as each other to confound the magic finger puppets but a few things puzzle me: Did Batman & Flash have their masks on under their mask made to look like Superman & Green Lantern. Wouldn't Bat's "Ears" & Flash's ear thingies (I don't know what to call them) poke out making out mask fit weird? (That was a poorly worded sentence) That wasn't the oddest part: Look at Wonder Woman? What The Heck? How is she filling out that suit? I am grateful that they did put Aquaman in the back of the panel but I wonder how he managed to look so feminine a few panels back. I do plan on checking out the next issue to see if any weirdness shows up there (This is issue 3 if anyone wanted to know).

Action Comics #865 is a cool issue revolving around The Toyman. It's a done in one story but it was nicely done (written by Geoff Johns, art by a Jesus Merino who does 2 types of art, one for present day & one for the flashbacks). Next issue starts a Brainiac storyline that has ramification to the Superman books for the rest of this year & into next year.

Brave and the Bold #13 has a team-up I don't I have ever seen before Jay Garrick (the first Flash) & Batman. It was a good story. Next issue: Green Arrow & Deadman team up, another one I hadn't seen before.

Also, DC has been doing a series of "motivational" posters mostly featuring Villains (Brainiac, Hush, Libra to name 3) but this one is the best one I've seen:

Photobucket

Looking forward to his upcoming miniseries this summer.

On to Marvel!

Since last comic ramble post I've gotten a sizable pile but don't have a lot of to say about about some of the books so I'll edit out some of my purchases to avoid me typing "It was a good book, I liked it." over & over again.

Invincible Iron Man #1: I've been a big fan of ol' Shellhead but I didn't like the Movie (It Rocked!) so that partly why this book was launched. it's writing by Matt Fraction, which is is thing since I've been hearing his name a lot recently. The story did bare some minor similarities to the Movie & some other IM stuff but that didn't bother me. I'd pick up Issue 2 to see where Fraction goes with this story line.

Avengers The Initiative #13 is a super cool issue. For many reason but this is one of the best, It made me smile:

Photobucket
(This is not how the panels appear in the book, they appear over 2 pages so moved them around so you can see them all together).

Pick up Marvel Adventures: The Avengers #24, it's comic gold!

One Non-Marvel/Non-DC book to talk about, it's Assignment: Earth, it's a Star Trek spin off book. It's written & drawn by John Byrne. The premise of the book is that in an episode (Episode 55, season 2) from the Original series that was also a proposed spin-off television series but that series never came to be, so this series is what that TV series could have been. I read an interview about the book & it was suggested by Byrne, he's a big Trekie but he said that his likenesses are all that great & that had stopped him from doing a Star Trek book earlier. This fact is worked around is the 2nd issue when you see some of the Enterprise crew members (Kirk, Spock & Sulu, maybe a few others) from the back, from a distance or from the chest down. The book also reminded me a bit of Doctor Who, the main character even has something that looks to be a Sonic Screwdriver! It's fun book, Pick it up!

--------

Now on to the Back Issues:

Marvel:
- I picked up 3 issues of Marvel Team-Up, In Issue 24 Spidey teams up with Brother Voodoo & 70's stereotypes abound! Issues 67 & 125 both feature Tigra. I prefer 67 more, it was better story.
- The last issue (100) of Marvel Two-In-One which is a sequel to the story from MTIO #50. 50 was better.
- The Fantastic Four annual from 1998, the story is a What If of sort: WHAT IF... The Marvel Heroes aged in real time? It's a fun story. There is a humorous reference to Indiana Jones in there, too!
- Spectacular Spider-Man #256: Spider-Man fights The White Rabbit! a Fun story. I have a soft spot for loser Super-Villains.
- Amazing Spider-Man #266 continues this theme: The Fabulous Frog-Man & The Toad (from the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants) fight to see who gets to be Spidey's Sidekick. Not that's not all The Spectacular Spider-Kid also shows up!
- Uncanny X-Men #153, it's the classic issue with "Kitty's Fairy Tale" in it.
- Uncanny X-Men Annual #7: The X-Men deal with the Impossible Man.
- X-Men: Special Edition #1 a reprint of "Giant Size X-Men #1".
- 2 Impossible Man Summer Vacation Spectaculars.
- Quasar #30, The Protector of the Universe is sent on a mission by The Watcher to collect versions of The Living Laser. Where are these versions? In various dimension seen in past issues of What If!

DC
- Action Comics #544: first appearances of the robot Brainiac & Luthor is green & purple battle armor.
- 80 page Giant Superman #187: a whole issue about the Fortress of Solitude!
- Detective Comics #572: Batman, Slam Bradley, Elongated Man & Sherlock Holmes team-up!
- Showcase #97-99: a 3 part Power Girl story.
- Showcase #100: This book published almost a decade before "Crisis on Infinate Earth" almost reads like that series did. No one died & the multiverse wasn't changed but a whole myriad of characters all team up to take down a cosmic menace!
- Chronos #2, 3, 5, 8, 9 & 11: I now have almost have all the issues of this cool but short lived series featuring the 2nd Chronos. (I already owned Issue 1 & 6).

That almost everything. I left off one book: The Adventures of Kool-Aid Man. This gets a post of it's own it's that good/bad. Look for that post soon!

as always Stay Jazzy!

-Brian

No comments: