Friday, June 27, 2008

This is Entry 44: Comics!

I'm back with this weeks comics. It's all Marvel & there was 11 books! Normally I would get that much & it would be a good mix of Marvel, DC & maybe some other stuff. But it was a good week for Marvel. Also, 5 of the books relate to the Avengers & 4 books tie into Secret Invasion. I will say this I am not reading the main story at this point. But I might or I might just wait until it's all over & read the trade.

So, getting on to the books....

2 cool books but I don't have anything really to say about them: Captain America & Fantastic Four, both have cool stories going on in them. Both are written well & the art is good in both. So, pick 'em up & read them!

I was excited when I saw this book on the rack: What If this was the Fantastic Four? So, why was I excited about this? Well, for one it's a What If & I do like me some alternate universe stories! But this book was bitter sweet, it's written by Jeff Parker. But that not what makes it bitter sweet, it was to be drawn by Mike Wieringo & he had started in on it (he had done the first seven pages) but then I passed away of a heart attack which left the book unfinished. So, 'Ringo's friends, admirers & fans in the industry took up the book to finish the book. After the first seven pages, the art changes every couple of pages. You have art by Art Adams, Stuart Immonen, Alan Davis, Humerto Ramos, Skottie Young, Mike Allred & Barry Kitson among others. Most of the book was inked by 'Ringo's longtime friend Karl Kresel. The book was put out in association between Marvel & The Hero Initiative so proceeds from the book go to them which is cool. SIDENOTE: For my thought of Mike Wieringo's pasting see Post #3 of this Blog.

Another book I don't have much to say about this go around: New Warriors. I just want to say that the weird art of the last few issues is gone & ok art has returned! It's by a Reilly Brown, I don't know much about them but they have done issues in the past of this series. I wouldn't mind if they stayed on the book. They have a nice style & it would keep the weird art from returning.

Runaways #30 came out, it's the last part in the took-longer-that-it-should-have story by Joss Whedon. It is also the last issue of this volume since next issues the series is being relaunched with a new #1 (like the 3rd for the series), a new writer (Terry Moore) & a new art style (courtesy of Humberto Ramos). I will say this I did like the art here in this story arc, it was by Michael Ryan & wouldn't mind seeing more of his stuff elsewhere. Also, I was a good reason I read this book in the pile first because, luck of the draw, the next book down was....

... The Runaways/Young Avengers: Secret Invasion tie-in book which follows the events of Issue #30. Now the cover art of the team-up was by Ryan & I thought it was be his art inside: No! It was by a Takeshi Miyazawa which wasn't bad but my mind sometimes connects cover artist to interior artist which isn't always the case.

Continuing the each-book-relates-to-the-next theme, I picked up the 3rd issue of the Avengers Fairy Tales & this issues takes the characters from Alice in Wonderland & the Young Avengers mixes them together. Cassie Lang (a.k.a Statue) is in the Alice role. Also, the art in this book is by the same person, Takeshi Miyazawa & I kind of liked their art better here then in the other book.

Finishing up the interconnectedness of the books: 3 Avengers books & all are Secret Invasion related.
- Avengers: The Initiative #14's last page has me questioning the entire series up to this point. Yes, it has me wondering "Who do you trust?"
- The Mighty Avengers #15 tells how & when Hank Pym was replaced by his Skrull impostor. Also, the issue has some nice art by John Romita Jr.
- The New Avengers #42 takes us back to before this series even began & how the the Skrull invasion was part responsible for the forming of the New Avengers. Next Issue: House of M.

So, that's that it for!

So, until next we meet: Stay Jazzy!

No comments: