Wednesday, August 22, 2007

This is Entry 7: Comic Book Cavalcade!

Or: The Comic Book Cavalcade!

There's less to talk about this time. Only one weeks worth of stuff & not 2 or 3 weeks worth of stuff. We got a 2 things from DC & 3 from Marvel, with a magazine thrown in for good measure.

First up: DC.

Superman #666. Yes, you read that right. it's issue 666 & guess what Superman man fights in the issue? Yes, The Devil. Well, not The Devil. But, a Kryptonian counterpart (apparently their was a few devils in the Kryptonian afterlife & went the planet went bye bye: Only one survived & some also made it's way to Earth). There is a wacked out "dream" sequence in the issue (Lots o' Death).

On a somewhat related note, Batman pasted the 666 issue resecent but didn't do a similar Devil inspired issue. The next I'll be commenting on is Batman #668, the second part to the Clud of Heroes story (I talk about part 1 a few posts down the blog). It's starts off the issue with some cool retro styled art. Through out the issue there are some interesting usasge of panels.

Next: Marvel.

Issue 2 of Starlord, 1 of the 4 prologue series to Annihilation: Conquest (I talk about one of the other books, Quasar, a few posts down the blog). The "Dirty Dozen in Space" continue on their mission. One memeber kicks the bucekt, pushes up daises, bites the bullet, dies. One appears to sacrafices themself but I'm not sure if they do. Plus, what's not no to like with a book who has a talking, gun toting Racoon?

I picked up 2 books by Jeff Parker: Mystic Arcana: Scarlet Witch & X-Men: First Class. The Scarlet Witch book is part of 4 issue miniseries "exploring the four corners of magic in the Marvel Universe" (according to the book). It's got this cool intro paragraph (I'd type it out here, but it's really long & I'm lazy). The book was an intresting look at a prepowers Wanda. I haven't picked up the other books (which focus of Magik & the Black Knight) but I might. The last book focus' on Sister Grimm (from Runaways) which I might pick up or at least look at. The X-Men is a reworking of their early days, which I doubt are cannon. But, it's nice book. It has some humor that I liked & the backup story was cute.

A Comics related Magazine called Comic Foundry, I picked up the 1st issue partly because they have an interview with Kristen Bell in it. But, I'm always open to trying something new. My verdict is: Good. I'd pick up Issue 2. The magazine isn't about Comics directly but about stuff around comics (The people who make them, people who read them, clothes, trends, etc.). It is in black & white. Tbe lay out reminded me part of Entertainment Weekly which isn't bad. Their Webiste is: comicfoundry.com

One last time: The bag I brought all my stuff home in had an Ad for the BBC America rebroadcast of the Doctor Who spin-off: Torchwood (Captain Jack looked quite dashing). The series premires September 9th, here states side.

Well, I think that will be all for now. Until next time, my non existant readers (I think I call you Jim): Stay Cool!

-Brian

No comments: