Saturday, October 15, 2011

This is Entry 235: Comic Book Round-Up for 10/12/11!

It's been 2 weeks since I last told you about comics I've read.  But I'm back to tell you about them.

I'll start off with the the lone Marvel book I picked up this week. Yes, I do read some of what what Marvel puts out. Use to be more but I've pared back my readership of their books. Mostly because I lost interest in their books.

So... the Marvel book : FF. The book that arose from the death of of Johnny Storm (The Human Torch) & the end of the of the Fantastic Four (but they are or at least the book is coming back. Is Johnny? I don't know). I'm thinking of dropping this book from my monthly readership. It's not because I think the book is bad or anything. It's that I'm not sure it works reading the book in a monthly format. The story lines are large & drawn out. Some month's issues are just set up for things you might not even get around to reading until months later. This is nice since it gives you feeling that what is happening is large & it should be for "The World's Greatest Comic Book" but it might not be good month to month. I think I''l get to the end of this storyline & then just pick up the book in the collected format.

On to the DC Comic books:

I won't be adding the cover for the DC books since I don't have much to say about them & I'm lazy. If you want to really see the covers I'm sure you could find them online somewhere.

Before I tell you about what I bought let me tell you about what I decided to not buy. The second issues of Batwoman & Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E. came out this past wednesday & I did not buy them. Why? I just wasn't feeling those books. I may pick up the collected edition/trade paperbacks of those book's 1st story line in the store to look at & see what I missed. Batwoman has some really nice art.

What did I Buy:
- Justice League International #2: this came out last week & was the only book I bought last week. It's still a good book & introduced their first villian: The Signal Men. I feel like I've heard that name before but haven't looked into it yet. Nice issue all around. Also, we find out that Skeets, Booster Gold's sidekick/best friend/Personal assistant does exist in the New 52. We didn't see him but heard him so that was nice to know.

- Batgirl #2: This book was meh. Not really bad. Not really good. I may end up dropping it. I may or may not check back in on via looking at the trade in the store to see what I missed if I do so.

- Suicide Squad #2: Issue #1 had 3 artist on the book. Issue #2 has 2 artist on the book. Both times I liked the art by the other people then the main artist on the book. Now if the other filling artist had styles similar to the main artist this might not be a problem but they are not so it's a bit jarring to have one art style for a first half of the book & then you flip to the next page or look to the next page to see a different (better in my opinion) art style. This is my only really complaint about the book (other people have other complaint about the book but I look past those) & if happens in every further issue, DC either needs to get an artist you can actually do the art for the book on a monthly basic or I may drop it.

- Demon Knights #2: Probably the best book I read this week. It was awesome. Go read it! (See! I said I didn't have much to say about the books.)

- Mister Terrific #2: Another good book. Not too sure about the WiFi symbol of the villain Brainstorm's forehead. Not sure it actually is a WiFi symbol it just looks like that. Maybe that's means he's a WiFi hotspot :)  1 thing about the art in the book & I think I might have mentioned this in regards to last issue: The way the artist (Gianluca Gugliotta) draws faces can be a bit wonky at times. It's something I can get past since it's consistently wonky all over the book & it's something you could use to.

So... that's it for this weeks comics. I'll be back when I have more. I think I have a couple I want to pick up next week.

But before I sign off, just a plug for my *new* Tumblr account: My Life in a Longbox, the Tumblr edition. Right now it's just a mish-mash of pictures of stuff I've found around Tumblr that I found interesting. I'll try to get some more original content made by me up there sometime. Just go & check it out.

Until next time: Stay Jazzy, everybody!

- Brian

4 comments:

Hollis Crapo said...

The signal men just remind me of the idea men. Traffic light, light bulb. Same thing. Do they wear masks and mumble a lot?

Brian said...

They haven't said anything (yet).

As for masks: I'm not sure. The Signal Men are giant robots. So I guess you could consider their faceplates to be masks if you wanted to think about it that way.

Thanks for Replying!

Unknown said...

New 52 Batgirl has the "honor" of trading a peerless supporting character for an incompetent wannabe heroine. In fact, the only thing worse than DC magically "fixing" the most prominent disabled character in comics, is their half-assed compromise of a Barbara Gordon too traumatized and out-of-practice for field work, yet continues to risk her own life and others so she can continue her fangirl superheroine trip.

Brian said...

I feel like with Batgirl they had 2 ideas of how the book was to going to be & they weren't sure which idea to go with so they just used both ideas. The problem is both ideas don't mesh together. So we get the young inexperienced hero idea mixed with ideas more befitting a more established veteran hero.

I sort of wish she was still paralyzed from the waist down but is using some "special Batgirl suit" to make her able to get up & move around. I think it would be an interesting cover story: No one would suspect the woman in the wheelchair to be Batgirl!

I actually I wish Barbra was still Oracle & Stephanie Brown was Batgirl but I doubt I'm going to get that.

Thanks for replying!