Thursday, September 1, 2011

This is Entry 222: It went Down!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Get use to seeing this since I'll be using it for the next month :) Also, you'll notice it now say New 12 instead New 11 as previous posted. I decided to add the Nightwing book to the list.

So.... yesterday the 1st of the "New 52" books came out. It was Justice League #1. What did I think of it? It was an ok book. Not really a spectacular book, just ok. In all the 1st issues I've read over the years this this was ok. Now as a "we are introducing a new universe & this is your first look" it was... uh... ok. Maybe less then that.

The issue set up (for the most part) the book/storyline but not the universe as a whole. Which is ok but the way the book was being advertised it seemed like "To know what is going on in the New 52, you must pick up Justice league #1 or forever be lost! *evil laughter with a lightning strike in the background*"

The book does not set up the universe or the team very well. About half of the team doesn't even show up in the book! It's mostly the Hal & Bruce Show with a special appearance by Superman (on the last page) & a subplot involving the man who will become Cyborg. I still don't understand why Cyborg is even a member of the team (to me he will always be a Teen Titan). I would have much rather had Martian Manhunter on the team. Make it a true classic JL line up.

What did I think of the writing? Fine. Geoff Johns' writing for me is a hit or miss: I'll either like or not. (Example: Blackest Night is Awesome, Brightest Day is Crap.) The issue had some nice exchanges between Batman & Green Lantern. I chuckled to myself aloud at some of the lines. The pacing of the book was bit slow but but then Mr. John likes to slowly build. I read somewhere that the 1st storyline will be 6 parts so hopefully the League is up a running by or before issue #3.

What did I think of the art? Nice. It's on level of what I've come to expect from a "Jim Lee drawn" book.

Would I pick up Issue 2? I might pick it up at the store & flip through it. Not sure I'd buy it.

Next week as you can see on the Checklist we have 2 books I've been looking forward to: Justice League International #1 & Batgirl #1. There are 11 other books coming out like Action Comics & Detective Comics being the 2 biggest of the set. But JLI & Batgirl are those I'm really looking forward to. I might flip through/buy AC depends on what I see in it.

Until next time: Stay Jazzy!

- Brian

No comments: