Wednesday, September 7, 2011

This is Entry 224: Even more went Down!


It's another week & I'm back to talk more about some DC Comics. As you can see my banner for the post is slightly different. I'm taking a page/idea from the world of Fashion.

The term "The September Issue" as I understand it means that the September issue of those fashion magazines (Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, Elle, etc.) devote all & some portion of that issue to talking about that Fall's fashion trends. So, I've devote some of my post this month to talking about DC reboot. I didn't put up this banner for my discussion on Justice League since it was released in August & I hadn't thought it up yet.

Before I get to the 2 books I bought. I'll give come quick reactions to what I saw in some of the books as a took a quick look through them at the store:

Action Comic #1: Meh. I'm not so hot on DC starting some of the New 52 book in the past (five years ago). I'd rather them start it in the here & now then have some flashback later on. Or just let the information trickle out in the story.

Animal Man #1: Did not like the art. I don't care how great a story it might be but if I don't like the art of comic book. I'm not going to read it.

Batwing #1: The art looked painted. Not sure why they did it this way.

Detective Comics #1: I know i pick this one up & looked through it but I don't remember anything about it. Must of flipped to fast. I might look through it again.

Green Arrow #1: He apparently is wearing the suit from the "Smallville" show now & his facial hair was drawn weird in the book.

Stormwatch #1: What's up with Martian Manhunter's head? It's got like gills on the sides of his head now. Also, why is he even in this book?

Swamp Thing #1: meh. But that's how I feel about the character in general.

There was a few books I didn't even see the store I go even had (Hawk and Dove, Men of War, O.M.A.C. & Static Shock). Not sure I just didn't see these books or the store just didn't order any of those books.

Also, In the past 2 weeks I've been coming into the store around the same time. Both weeks I've been seeing new people in the store. I see then DC Comics in their hands. So, that's 1 thing DC has going for them. I'll wait to see these people are around in 6 months.


-------


But on to the 2 DC books I picked up: Batgirl #1 & Justice League International #1

First up: The JLI. Before I get into the book it's self. Lets' talk about the cover:
The Original Cover
The Altered Cover DC started to use a few days later.


The Cover to Issue #1
The lower right hand cover has gone through a lot of work since it first came out in Early June. First, there was a mystery woman down there (I still don't know who she is). Then, there wasn't anyone there & now there is someone there. That person is Godiva!

Who?

Yeah. I only vaguely know who she is (What I knew before read this issue was that there is a DC character named Godiva & she has big blonde hair. Now I also know she's British).

I will say this there is 1 thing the JLI book has over the Justice League: all the members on the cover show up in the issue & they go off to do something. Pages 1 & 2 it's stated that a team should be made. Pages 3 & 4 the team members are chosen. On Page 8 you see the entire team together & in costume. By Page 11 they are off on a mission. By page 16 they are fighting monsters. I'm guessing this what will take the Justice League at least 2 more issues to do.

Also, on page 1 it establishes that The Creeper, Metamorpho, B'wana Beast & Congorilla exist in the New 52 (They are seen in splash page montage of various characters).

I'm still not completely sold on Booster Gold's costume. I don't like the "W" on the costume, It seems pointless. It would work better if there was.. oh... I don't know... a W in his name. The rest of the costumes seem better good. Godiva's seems extreme generic. It's almost like no thought went into it. 

There was also one thing I keep on thinking "Where is Skeets?" Did Booster just forget him at home or does Skeets, Booster's sidekick/personal assistant not exist in this New 52? Hope this point will be resolved in future issues.

2 more things: 
- In this issue Batman doesn't seem like such an dick as he comes off in . But this Issue does happen 5 years later.
- Apparently Oliver Queen (Green Arrow) is Tony Stark now because the issue talks about them getting the team's jet from Queen Industries.

-------

Up next is Batgirl #1

One of the few books that truly had the Internet as buzzing. I wanted to pick this book simply to see how to do they resolve the whole "Hey! I'm not paralyzed from waist down anymore!" thing. Well... They do. And *Spoilers to a almost 30 year old story* she was still shot by the Joker & was paralyzed. But after 3 years of not being able to move or feel her legs, a "miracle" happened. It's said like one morning she just woke up & could feel/move them. We are not told what this miracle is but I sure hope that when they reveal what this "miracle" is that it's not something like Marvel did in the Spider-Man story One More Day: Ms. Gordon made a deal with a demonic force (it's not the devil because that would mean that the comic was favoring Judeo-Christian themes) so that she could use her legs again.

As for the story it's self: it was a fine 1st issue. It set up who Barbra is, what her backstory is, started to establish who her supporting cast is, set up a Villain & showed her out kicking some ass as Batgirl.

Not much else to say. A newspaper article is shown to have been written by Jack Ryder, who is the alter ego of The Creeper & a couple mistake Batgirl for Batwoman during on scene.


-------


Next week....


I'll be picking up 3 books: Batwoman #1, Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E. #1 & Suicide Squad #1. Other books being released next week are 2 of the 4 Green Lantern books, Demon Knights with Etrigan the Demon, one of the Legion of Super-Heroes books, Mr. Terrific (which I've heard rumors might have Power Girl in it), Deathstroke, Grifter, Resurrection Man & Superboy!

Until next time: Stay Jazzy!

- Brian

2 comments:

Slid said...

Y'know...I havent seen everything they've done, only just a few covers. And I'm glad they got Batgirl out of the chair. But it all still looks like just about what they were doing before...different but the same!

Brian said...

That's the problem with a number of people: Different but the same. If they were just going to continue on with the same ideas/themes why do a company wide reboot/relaunch? Just keep what works & change what doesn't. That was what they had been doing & I thought it had been working for the most part.

As for Ms. Gordon getting out the chair: I was really non plus about the whole thing. I knew that it would eventually happen. I was/am more interested in how they'll explain it all.

and thanks for replying!