Wednesday, September 21, 2011

This is Entry 229: Hey Look! More stuff went down!


It's yet another week so it's time for for of Dc's "New 52". I've got 4 books & most of them Batman related to talk to you about. But first some of the ones I past up on:

- Batman #1: a  guy who works at the store tried to sell me on the book by saying that Scott Snyder was writing the book and that pretty much meant nothing to to me. I just wasn't interested in the book so I didn't buy it. I did look through it I just wasn't interested in it.
- Bird of Prey #1, Blue Beetle #1, Supergirl #1Wonder Woman #1: I looked through the books, didn't see anything that really grabbed me.
- Captain Atom #1, Green Lantern Corps #1Legion of Super-Heroes #1: didn't see them. Might of missed them.

Onto what I bought:

Catwoman #1: Thinking back on what I've read by writer Judd Winick I'd say I like his stuff. And from I seen of the art from Artist Guillem March I 'd say I like his art. And with this issue I'd say I liked it. March does draw some nice looking ladies. If you like boobs or at least Catwoman's boobs, then you'll like this issue!

But I'm not sure I liked the over sexualized natural of the issue. It does end the issue of Catwoman getting it on with Batman. I was not expecting that ending since I don't read a lot of Batman comics but in the ones I have read I don't think I've ever read any where you actually see the two of them getting it on. I read a lot of comics but I haven't read many where you see two people having sex.

On odd sidenote: when Catwoman was dressed in her bartender disguise, she kind of looked like a redheaded Morgan Webb. Not sure that was the intention but that what I thought of when I saw her.



Nightwing #1: Cick Grayson's time as Batman is still in continuity. They start off the book with him saying that he was Batman for a year but is now back as "himself": Nightwing! I'm not sure why they went with red on the costume & not the traditional blue but I can live with the change. I also noticed tat some elements from his Bat costume made there way over to his new Nightwing costume.

I originally wasn't sure about the book but in reading what the first arc was going to involve (Haly's Circus, where the Grayson family worked & where his parents died) would be coming back to Gotham for the 1st time since the incident (that's according to the comic) & he would facing his past intrigued me a bit. So, I decided to pick it up. What did I think of the 1st issue? It was good. It nicely set up the Circus plot line & the antagonist for the next couple of issues or so (I'd tell you the character's name but I don't think they said his name in the issue).

I don't think I've read anything by writer Kyle Higgins before. The artists' name (Eddy Barrows) seems familiar. So I might of seen his art before or at least read his name before. It's nice art.

Red Hood and the Outlaws #1: This wasn't one of the books I had on my "pick up" list but it was on the "look at at when it comes out" list. There were questions I had about the book. the biggest is still not answered after this issue: did Roy Harper ever loose his arm or did that event never happen in this New 52 universe?. I'd consider this book to be similar in tone to Suicide Squad: small group of mercenaries for hire doing "bad" stuff & killing people.

Red Hood/Jason Todd's time as Robin is still in place in the New 52 which means over the course of about 6, 7 years Batman has had at least 3 Robins (Dick Grayson, Jason Todd & Damion Wayne). Roy Harper's time as Speedy is also reestablished.

I've been wondering about the Teen Titans timeline. I started to wonder about before any of the books came out, Justice League gave me some stuff to wonder about regarding it. With this issue, it gave me more to wonder about it. Mostly in relation to Starfire & her involvement. She was still with the team but I wonder for how long? I might have to read/look at the Titans book when it comes out next week. They do mention that Starfire & Dick Grayson (Nightwing) had a previous relationship. Also, Starfire feels very cold & distant.  At times, it seems like she has been on earth for awhile while other times it seems like she just got to earth.

I don't like the Bat in the O's of the word Hood. It looks stupid. It's there to tell people this is a Batman book but it's not really. The only person who has a connection to Batman is Jason Todd & it doesn't seem like he wants anything to do with him anymore.

Like in Catwoman, if you like Boobs or at least Starfire's boobs. You like this book! Also, like in Catwoman: there is sex but you don't see it. You see that 2 characters (they are on the cover but their name isn't in the title) are going to off to do it & then you see them afterwards.

DC Universe Presents #1 or DC Universe Presents Deadman #1: 1 of 2 anthology books in New 52 (I'm counting All-Star Western as the other one). The first couple of issues will be devoted to Deadman. About the only thing that I liked about the book "Brightest Day" was the Deadman sub-plot. This is where he meet up with him in the New 52. Well... I saw online that he was the Hawk & Dove book but this is where he has his "main" story.  In the past I've liked what I've read by writer Paul Jenkins & this is a good story. It's probably one of the better, might be the best Deadman story I've read so far. Might be one of the better things I've read that's been part of the New 52. It nicely sets up what Deadman's back story is (in 1 page) & then spends the rest of the issue presenting the start to an interesting story. It's gives the best explanation for why he does what he does. I've always though that was ill defined in other Deadman stories I've read.

I look forward to the rest of the story & to see who will be the next headliner for the book.

So that's it for this week. Up next week is....


The last set of the #1's come out: I'll be picking up All-Star Western #1, The Flash #1, Justice League Dark #1 & a strong maybe to Teen Titans #1.

The other books that are coming out are: yet another attempt at making the King of the 7 Seas look cool (Aquaman #1), the last Batman book (Batman: The Dark Knight #1), G.I. Joe... sorry.. I mean Blackhawks #1, 2 books that have ties to the Brightest Day event (The Fury of Firestorm #1 & The Savage Hawkman), the last of the Lantern books (Green Lantern: New Guardians #1), a book that will is cashing on the vampire fad (I, Vampire #1), Voodoo #1 (which I know almost nothing about other then it lady with a mystic glove thingy) & the last Superman book (Superman #1).

See you next time. Until then: Stay Jazzy!

- Brian

No comments: