Tuesday, August 30, 2011

This is Entry 221: It's going down!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

It's all going down tomorrow. DC closes the chapter on the current DC Comics Universe with the release of Flashpoint #5 & opens the next chapter with the release of Justice League #1.

What do I think about? I'd think that you'd kind of know what I think it since your here at my personal blog & have pretty much only been talking about this since DC announced they were doing. :) As for what I think about the books themselves I'll be talking about them as they come out.

How do I feel about how DC has closed out this chapter? not quite sure. There doesn't seem to be a defining close out of the universe which I guess Flashpoint #5 is but across the books it seems to be scattershot of how they end the books. Some books seemed to just end & give no real resolution to the series (Booster Gold), seem like they end on cliffhanger & give no info on where that cliffhanger will be resolved (Power Girl), Have ended their storyline issues ago & have just been filling space for the few issues (Gotham City Sirens) or actually have a nice ending to the series (Batgirl). The books I mentioned end these ways but I think it's like that for other books, too. It seems that for many a series a New 52 change over came as much as a surprise the readers as to the people writing/drawing the books. I've noticed in a few different books that there seemed be a change. They all seemed to be building up to something in their respective story lines & then a few months ago that all changed. I'm guessing that when the people behind the books got words that they only had X number of issues to finish up. So did better then others. I picked up one of the Batman books (Batman #713) that did a rather nice "Final Issue" story. They managed to cover most of the main points in the life of Batman & Robin.

I didn't see any story that I thought was akin to "Whatever happened to the man of Tomorrow?" the last Silver Age Superman story from 1986 (who was then rebooted later that year with the mini series Man of Steel as part of the fallout for Crisis on Infinite Earths). I think I read some where that people at DC didn't want to do stories like that which I think is fine. But I don't think that all of the books should have a definitive ending to them. I keep finding that I felt let down by many of the books. Like "That's it? That's how we are ending things." Not with a bang but a whimper.

That is sort of how Comic Books work: There is so much built up at the start of a book. There are special graphics used just for 1st issues. Then when you get to the end of book there isn't much hoopla made about it. I think I only saw a handful of DC's comics that even had it clearly stated on their cover that it was the final issue. Some did alluded to it (like the tagline for final cover of Power Girl Up, Up ... And Away! or on the final cover of Gotham City Sirens with all the main characters walking away from each other).

As I said earlier & in previous posts: I'll be picking up a number of the books. After I read what I've read I'll most likely post my comments here. So look for those as the month of September rolls along.

Until then: Stay Jazzy!

- Brian

No comments: