Thursday, August 26, 2010

This is Entry 159: Really Cool Old Ads #1

In Entry 150, I posted the first entry in a new segment for the Blog: Random Photos & this entry to tell you about another new segment for the blog. It's going to be called Really Cool Old Ads!

What will it involve? Well... really cool old ads. :) Now these ads will be culled from comic book collection which spans about 50 years of comics (from the 1960's to the present). Most of the the ads that I think are really cool & old come from the comics of the '60's, '70's, '80's & the early to mid '90's. Past that time the ad's become more generic (ads you could see in any magazine) & are a little too current. But if there are current ads I think that are worth mentioning (like the Wonder Woman ads) I'd put them up (but probably not as part of RCOA).

Over the last couple of days I've been going over some of my old comics & looking for ad's I want to share with you all. I've got a nice pile (well, 2 piles) of comics. A number of comics had multiple cool ads in them. I'm not even a chunk of the way through my collection & I've only been looking at some DC Comics. I haven't started in on any Marvel books.

How I'll post them is with the Ad & the year is came from. If I think what comic book it came is important/interesting I'll say that too. Most like I'll some comments about what makes the Ad is Really Cool. Why it's old should be evident. :)

To start us off, I present to you all an Ad I already have scanned in & I like to call it Land Ship:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I scanned this ad in awhile so I don't exactly remember what year it is from. I think it is from the 1960's & I think it was from a DC comic. I like this ad for one phrase "Land Ship". It just so odd. Why would you call a Library that? In the 1960's it may have been ok for young boys to wonder the harbor without a parent or guardian & then go to the Library with grizzled old sea captains but today in 2010 it might be slightly suspect. His land ship might have been a windowless van! :) In the1960's it might of also been ok to smoke in a public library.

Also looking at this I realized my scan is a bit small & kind of hard to read: I think i'll find Land Ship again, scan & post a larger copy later. It deserves to be read in all it's glory!

Until next: Stay Jazzy!

-Brian

No comments: