Monday, June 28, 2010

This is Entry 148: 11 months of DC Comics reviewed in 1 post (sort of)

Last time, I went over the Marvel comics I had read since I last reviewed here on da Blog so this time I'm going to go over the DC Comics I've read.

So, something about my "reviews":
- I don't do in depth reviews, I just give my feelings.
- I might spoil things. Try to not to but it happens.
- I sort of assume you've read some of the stuff I reference.
- I don't explain a lot. So, if your lost: sorry.
- I don't review all I read. Sometimes I just don't have anything to say about a book.
- Sometime when I have something to say it's not much & maybe kind of vague.
- I don't have a lot of pictures with my reviews since my scanner doesn't really work & I don't really want to search the Net for the pictures I'd want to use.

But 1 thing I forgot:
- I tend to ramble sometimes. If you get bored: sorry. I try to keep on track but sometimes I get distracted.

Also, I was told recently my Scanner is not not as broken as I thought it was. It just needs so finessing to get to do what you want. Once I know I how to do that, I make be putting up my pictures here. So woot to that!

But getting to the comics....

Much like how I talked about Marvel's Siege, I'll give my feelings on DC's latest major event: Blackest Night: Holy crap, it was awesome!If you have not read it, you should do so. I think the collected edition is coming out soon too so you don't have to search out the single issues. Also, the tie in comics (be they the handful of mini series or tie in issues from other comics) were all pretty good for the most part. 2 cool things from the event: Lantern Rings & Series brought back from the dead! 8 comics that tied into the event if you bought the issue you'd get the ring of one of the lantern corps. I like geeky stuff like that that. Near the end of the miniseries, a couple of cancelled series were brought back for one issue issue & they were even number correctly (if the series ended on 75, the BN tie in issue was 76).

After Blackest Night over with DC has gone into the Brightest Day!! We are 4 issues (or 5 there was a Zero issue) & I'm still not sure what to make of the series. But then at the end there will be 26 (27) issues so at issue 4 we are still at the very beginning. I'm willing to stick with the series but some stuff happening would be nice. Yes, there is stuff happening but not enough stuff & some of the stuff that is going on is confusing with little explanation (which most likely will be explained later on).

Now on to the comics....

With most of DC reading it can be divided into a few easy categories: Superman, Batman, Brightest Day & Other. I've already talked about BD (the series that have spun out that will be talked about under the Other section).

First off we have the comics revolving around the Man of Steel & his supporting cast. I pretty much have been reading the entire line (Superman, Action Comics, Supergirl, Adventure Comics, Superman: World of New Krypton). Over the last year, all the Super Books were all connected & revolving around the New Krypton storyline. What did I think off it it? Ok. It had it's good & bad parts like most anything. I don't regret reading it.

For the upcoming year I read that you don't have to read the entire line to get a full storyline but they will still slightly connect (If Supergirl is in a fight in Action Comics, that might be referenced in her own book). I'll still probably read the books (S:WoNK was a mini series & is now over). Adventure Comics is changing how it is done, It started out as a Superboy book with a Legion of Super Heroes in the back & then the legion stories came up front with Superboy in the Back. Now He is getting his own book (not sure I'll read, I'll at least look at the first issue) so He's no longer in AC & The Legion are staying with AC even though they have their own book. From what I gather AC will tell stories of the Legion's past where their own book will tell stories of their present which both of these books happen in our future. :)

2 other Super books are Power Girl & Superman: Secret Origin. With S:SO is a mini series. A 6 issue mini series. Issue 5 came out months ago so I don't know where 6 will present it's self. It's a nice book, it sets up the presently except back story of Superman. It is nothing really that hasn't been said before or anything you really need to know to read the Superman books. I picked it up since it was writing by Geoff Johns & art by Gary Frank.

With Power Girl, I call it it a Superman book since she is from Krypton, just a Krypton from an alternate reality. :) Her book doesn't relate to the other Super books. I'm not even sure if it takes place in Metropolis. Also, come to thing of it she doesn't really appear in the other Superman books. Seems like she should have, a whole mess a kryptonians did show up recently & she didn't seem to even care. Hmmm... seems like a slip up by DC but oh well. Move on. The PG book has been good, with nice art by Amanda Conner. With issue 13, there is a new writer & artist on the book.

Now on the Bat Books, I don't read the entire line but most of it (Batman, Batgirl, Detective Comics, Streets of Gotham, Gotham City Sirens). All are good books, with SoG my liking of the book fluxuates from month to month. The rest are pretty much good month to month. If you can get the Batwoman issues of Detective Comics with the art by J.H.Williams III: Get it! Some of the best art & most interesting page design I've seen in awhile.

Both the Batman comic & the Superman comic have reached the 700 issues. The Batman one had one story told over 3 different eras with 3 different Batmen where as Superman was a collection of stories. Both good.

The Other Comics:

- I've since stopped reading the JSA book: lost interest. I had even less interesting the JSA All-Stars book. The JSA 80 page giant from a few months back was awesome. If you haven't read it you should & you don't really need to have been reading the JSA book to it it. The various art styles employed in the book is partly was it is awesome.

- Booster Gold: Creator/Writer/Artist Dan Jurgens has left the book which is sad but the book continues with a set of writers who have written the character before Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis (they wrote him during Justice League International). I'm not sure I like the angle they are going with him. I'm not sure if it fits with the way the book had been done until they came on.

- Speaking of Booster Gold, spinning out Brightest Day is Justice League: Genertion Lost which has a number of the members from those days of JLI (which includes BG) to fight recently returned from the dead Maxwell Lord. I like how BG is written here better & plus it's a pretty good book. The most recent issue of Power Girl also tied into this series not sure if there will be any further ties into each other.

- The Flash: The end of Flash: Rebirth was kind of lack lust since it took a bit to come out but still good. The relauched title is also good.

One other book: Unwritten, from DC's Vertigo imprint. Good Book, interesting idea.

I think that is about it for the comics. There might be some other comics that I haven't talked about floating around if I find them, I'll talk about them.

Until then: Stay Jazzy!

- Brian

No comments: