Sunday, May 2, 2010

This is Entry 139: FCBD 2010

Yesterday was Free Comic Book Day & as always it was awesome, even thought I had to go to work. But I set it up so that I could go in later then normal so that I might partake in the geekiness of the event. I started off the day at the store I go to each FCBD, it's a few cities away from me but definitely worth the drive. Why? Out of the 32 books offered for FCBD not every store gets them all & most stores only let get a small number of the books. The store I go to lets you get one of each & they get like the whole line of books. This means I get 30 some odd comic books for free!

The store I go to is in a strip mall & there was 2 lines outside 2 different stores: 1 in front of the Comic Book store & another line in front of a Scrapbooking store that was going out of business. Can you guess which store had the longer line? If you guess the Scrapbooking store: you are correct! :)

As I awaiting entry with about 15 to 20 other people I noticed a sign that would through off my entire morning. My original plan was to get comics there & then maybe see a few other stores before I had to head home & get ready for work. I planned to do also this & be home by Noon or at least 12:30. The sign in question said there was a sale. One I could not pass up! In a back room, their was back issues & every single one was on sale for a quarter! Not matter what the book, how old or new it was, you could get it for a quarter.

After getting inside, I went through the the line to get my free comics & headed into the back room to start my search. I picked up about 40 books & I didn't go through all the bins. I went through most of them but I had things to do. Also while there I got 2 other Comic Book Boxes, my collection is expanding & need more storage. This is of course because of that day's haul but also due to the other books I've been picking up.

With my 70 some odd books, 2 boxes & free War Machine heroclix, I made my way to another line: The check out line!

Once done with that, I left my first store around Noon & maybe my way to one other store. I had planned to maybe visit 3 store in total that day. If I had the whole day I might have visited more. But 1 main store with 2 store overs seemed good enough.

I made to my other store stop over, they had less of a selection of books & a 3 books per person limit. I picked up some some books for a my nephews & headed home. Was there in just enough time to change for work & get there almost on time. Was late clocking in by a minute.

I'll be back with another post telling of the books I got. Until then: Stay Jazzy!

- Brian

2 comments:

Jay Boaz said...

I was unable to attend Free Comic Book Day (it's a 3 hour round trip to my comic store), but I was in the day before and the guys let me grab a couple of books the day before; I'm a long-term valued customer. :)

I snagged both of the Iron Man books; they may have given me more (I was told to look at the list and just say which ones I wanted) but I didn't want to be too greedy, especially because I was grabbing them a day early.

I didn't think either one was that great though, unfortunately. Oh well, they were free!

Brian said...

Thanks for replying, Jay. It not often I get replies & even rarer that I get replies from people I know. :)

I got those Iron Man books too & had the same reaction (not great but hey, they were free). The Iron Man/Thor comic seemed to be slightly in continuity, I could see that story being in the regular Iron Man book.

Thanks again for replying.