Thursday, April 30, 2009

This is Entry 84: Guest Blogger *Really*

Well, actually what is posted here in was to be Entry 80 & technically still but I don't feel like have to make my readers (I've heard rumors that they exist) to have too scroll down the page, it's a long way down to Entry 80. 83 is a whole big mess of text, 82 is pictures to be distracted by & 81 is a video to be distracted by so I post it what 80 was to be here.

To refresh your memory: I designated 80 & now 84 to be the review of Emerald City ComiCon 2009 by that of ComiCon Newbie & Lurker of this here blog o' mine, Caleb McGary. This post been almost a month coming from him being busy with other things (Work), his computer being a bit pissy with him & according to him "I keep forgetting". Also in talking with him (he being one of the few readers that I talk to in real life) it sounded like (to me) his review was going to be this mega long entry. But it's not & that's ok. :)

Here for the first time on MyBlog/Stuff by Brian I hand off the reigns to another person. Here is Caleb's review of the 'Con & he even titled too!

------

Comicon: First Impressions


So,

This was my first time attending the Emerald City Comicon. I had prepped in advance, by pre-registering and making sure that I knew who was showing and whatnot. I also had cleared out a book bag and gotten some plastic covers, with which I could use to contain comics I purchased. However, I wasn’t sure exactly what to expect.

On arrival, my friend and I snagged a close parking spot and walked into the convention center. Almost immediately I encountered a raging Chewbacca tromping down the hallway at a dangerous speed. I politely moved out of the way and continued towards the Con. As we got closer, it became more and more evident that this is a hard core comic convention. The hallways were filled with fans, people in costume, fathers showing their sons the likes of Superman and Batman. People were standing around reading all shapes, sorts and sizes of comic books, ranging from web comics to old school books that had been out longer than I have been alive. It was awesome.

I had wisely withdrawn a limited amount of funds in advance so my spending budget was already allocated and I was not planning on spending any more than that. On entering the Con, which occupied one of the larger rooms at the convention center, space rapidly disappeared. You had to squeeze to move anywhere. I opted to take a snake like approach to the Con, going up one isle and coming down the next side. This, while it guaranteed that I would see everything, also increased the amount of time at the Con it would take to find what I was looking for. I quickly learned a few key things:
1. Check the boxes. Good stuff is in them.
2. Ask the exhibitors questions. They know where the rare stuff is.
3. Don’t stop for food. It takes too much time.
4. The Storm Trooper’s weapon is fake, even if it does make noise.

About midway through, I encountered Half Pixel’s booth and was able to meet Scott Kurtz, an author of a webcomic (PVPOnline) that I read on a daily basis. I also had my photo snapped with the famous 501st Legion (a group of Star Wars impersonators that raise money for charity – from Arizona). I didn’t make any panels the first day as the time was spent entirely reading comics (substantial portion on the Superhero Civil War).

The Second day was much more laid back. I had already spent the majority of my allocated funds, and so I more or less took it easy, walking through areas I enjoyed and stopping at one panel discussion to learn about comics.

When all was said and done, I had acquired some very nice comics, thoroughly enjoyed myself and felt as if I had participated in a great knowledge transfer. See at the event, there was a large number of new people, and significant numbers of the younger generation. It was if the older generation was passing the torch and instilling the value of comics in them.

To quote Daniel L. Hardin
The time has come for me to go
We’re stronger, we are in the know
Progress made just as was planned
The torch is now in another hand
End quote.

It was a legendary experience, one I hope to repeat next year.


----------

That's it. That's all he wrote. Much of what Caleb rings true for me & probably many Con goers. After reading this I have a few questions: Where is his picture with the 501st? Where are his other Photos? What does he think of Civil War? Did he just read the main series? Any tie-ins? Which ones? Did he buy any other comics? Did he buy anything else? Did his friend, Bryce, buy anything? Which panel did he go to? Did he enjoy it? Why didn't he mention meeting me there?

And lastly: Who the frell is Daniel L. Hardin?

I will echo 2 things Caleb said: It was Awesome & I will be there next year.

Until next time: Stay Jazzy!

- Brian

No comments: