Thursday, November 3, 2011

This is Entry 237: Comic Book Round-Up for 10/26/11 & 11/2/11

I did mean to make a Round Up post last week but I just never got around to it & that was sort of good since 1 book I've been reading has put out 2 issues in the last 2 weeks. So... Let's start with that book:


Avengers Academy #20 & 21: Issue 20 is the last issue to tie into the "Fear Itself" event. Now where with Invincible Iron Man I've been pretty much lost on what is going on in the book. With AA's ties in, I have not been. Sure, AA's tie has mostly been not involved in the main action of Fear Itself like Iron Man has been but IIM seemed to have dropped it's story lines/plot lines to focus on FI completely. AA did not do that. It found a way to incorporate it's ongoing story elements into the FI event. Another thing nice about AA & it's FI tie in's, It filled in the reader who might not be reading the main event (i.e. Me) what is going on in that book & why some of the stuff that is happen is actually happening & it didn't seemed forced in there. I don't think I have read a truly bad issue of the series. It's always a book I look forward to reading each time it comes out (which is sometimes once a month & sometimes twice a month).

In reading Issue 20 I was worried that it would be the last issue. The title of the story was "Endings" & the cover sort of looked like it could have been a last issue cover. But as evident by there being an Issue 21 this was not the case. It was just a ending of a few of it's plot lines. A member of the group (Veil, the girl with the orange hair & black suit as seen on Issue 20's cover) has parted ways with the group. But I don't think she's gone from the book as how her leaving is seen in the book & the end of of 21. 2 teachers (Speedball & Justice, the men either end of the back row on Issue 20's cover) have left to go on a road trip. I'm not sure that we'll see their road trip in the book but it would be nice to check in on them every couple of issues.

The major change in Issue 20 is the group's membership is growing & the team in moving. Previously there was only 6 members & they were headquartered in the Infinite Avengers Mansion (which was location in another dimension). With the IAM being destroyed/lost (not sure which it is), the team is moving into the old West Coast Avengers headquarters in California.

The Academy is being opened to any & all young superhuman who would some further instruction/training. From the sounds of it there will still be the small core ground of Academy members with a rotating group of "part time" Academy members. 1 part timer I'm excited about is Emery Schaub, the hero known as either Boulder or Butterball (depending on who you ask). He's awesome!


1 thing I thought was interesting that on the cover of 21: it says it's a "1st Issue" but it also says it's Issue 21. Why? Because under the large "1st Issue" text it also has a smaller "of a new era" text. They are trying to get some new readers because most people will pick up something labeled a 1st issue. It's stupid but it works so they keep doing it. Another thing about 21's cover, I have no idea what "Shattered Heroes" it's probably something to do with the fall out from Fear Itself but the Heroes in AA don't seem to shattered. 


Also, in 21 the Academy is gets a new Teacher: veteran Avenger (and former West Coast Avenger member) Hawkeye. There is a mystery set up in 21 that will play out over the next couple of issues. The next issue (which comes out in 2 weeks) has the Academy meeting up with some of the X-Men.


Before I'm going on to the DC books I've picked up in the last 2 weeks, 1 more Marvel thing: FF is actually doing some stuff, so the last issue (Issue 11) was a good one. Still not sure if I'll drop it or not. There might come a time when the only Marvel I'm reading will be Avengers Academy.




------



Now on to DC!





Justice League Dark #2: As far as I say there was no burning of witches in the book. Zatanna & Constanine didn't even meet in the book either (But Constantine does make a "connection" with Zatanna). But it was still a good book. I am interested in seeing where this book goes. I still don't really like the name "Justice League Dark" but it has yet to be used in the book yet which is good.


Justice League International #3: I'm not sure how I feel about this book. It could be better. I'll at least stick around until at least the end of this story line & see how I feel about it then.




The Flash #2: I'm enjoying this book. It's got some nice art, a cool cover, some inventive use of panels & a interesting story, too. Also, this issue marks the first New 52 appearance of the Cosmic Treadmill, a cool old piece of technology that had been used in Flash of the past. It has been used in the past to test Flash's speed (which what it was used here) but it's also been used for time travel in the past too. Not sure if it will be used for that here. But It could lead to some cool stories in the future if they do use it in that way.


That's all I got for you this time. When I get more comics, I'll be back with more thoughts on them. Until then, Stay Jazzy everybody!


- Brian

No comments: