Tuesday, January 1, 2008

This is Entry 19: New Year, New Comics!

Happy New Year, Jim!

I have a nice ol' pile of Comics that I'll be talking about. But I'll be doing them in a quick hit format. So, with out further ado: Let's Go!

-------

Photobucket

Booster Gold #5: Cryptic comment about Issue #5: Somethings you can't change no matter hard you try. The next few issues should be interesting since they are involve The Blue Beetles: Past, Present & Future?

Captain Carrot and the Final Ark: This miniseries finishes up with a really weird end, it was totally not expecting it. It also makes me wonder what the fate of the Zoo Crew is.

Action Comics #860, this issue is the 3rd part of the Superman & the Legion of Super Heroes storyline & it is kick ass! It takes the Legion & updates them for the future, no pun intended.

The Brave and the Bold #9: Now I don't normally read this book but I'm starting to think I should. Issue 9 rocked it with the classic goodness. There were team ups between The Blackhawks & The Boy Commandos; The Metal Men & Robby Reed (Dial H for Hero) & Hawkman with the new Atom. Plus there was an appearance of the Challengers of the Unknown.

Graphic Novel: I got this book for Christmas, it's Batman: Gotham by Gaslight & it's cool. Pick it up.

I think with 2007 was a year where I started to pick up more & more DC books then I had in years past.

-------

Photobucket

At the end of the 6th issue of New Warriors we find out who's behind Night Trashers' mask. I won't say who it is but if you've been following the book you might have a guess.

With issue 6, The Mighty Avengers finish off there "She-Ultron" story. It's a interesting story with some cool art but the lag time between issues is what killed the excitement (Issue 1 came out in March '07 & Issue just came out in December '07. That's 6 issues in 10 months). Now, the next storyline concerns the Skrull invasion.

Now, Jim as a far as I know I'm not a Skrull, are you?

I picked up Giant-Size Avengers on a whim & most of the book has nothing to do with present day Marvel & I didn't mind. There is a nice story story about housekeeping by Jarvis (it's cooler then it sounds). An odd alien story with Henry Gyrich. Wolverine, Spider-Man & Luke Cage fight some guy named Emperor None & a story from before the Civil War where Cap & Iron Man teach Spidey some resepect with a little help from Doc Strange. There is 2 reprints: Even an Android can Cry (From Avengers 58) & Bully! (from Avengers #201). The last story is a misplaced one (I think) it features characters that have no place in an Avengers book: The Fin Fang Four (a group of Atlas era Monsters played for laughs, one being Fin Fang Foom).

The Fin Fang Four story should have been here in Hulk Vs. Fin Fang Foom, a story that takes places in an undetermined time period (the way Hulk takes & the way the way Hulk is drawn makes me think the 60's). In the back it reprints the first appearance of Foomy in which he was orange. Now how he turned from being orange to green, I don't know.

Exiles ended with Issue #100 & it was sort of lack luster because it was just setting up the relaunch of the book as New Exiles. I've started to dislike the book under the helming by Chris Clairmont, but maybe it will be better soon. I don't know. We'll see.

-------

Other Books that are non Marvel & DC:

(I need a graphic for this section).

Umbrella Academy is still cool.

IDW is going to be putting out a series based off of the super cool BBC show Doctor Who & to prepare us it's re-releasing the Doctor story from the '70's (It was put out by Marvel & features the Tom Baker version of the Doctor).

The mini series Hero by Night is now an ongoing series. So let's see if it can sustain a series.

Graphic Novel: I've heard some good stuff about The Escapists & picked it up for that reason. Now, I'd like to recommend it to you all. It's not even really about Comics, it's just a good story. Pick it up!

Looking back on 2007 I picked up more non Marvel or DC books then I had in other years.

-------

Well, that's all I have for now.

NEXT TIME: Entry 20 will be the Big Ol' pile of back issues I've been promising to review since November.

Photobucket

Until then, Stay jazzy!

-Brian

No comments: