Monday, March 17, 2014

This is Entry 272: Why not both?


I like Earth 2/Earth-2/Earth-Two (how ever you wanna write it), the DC Comics alternate universe. A concept (yes, concept) that has been around for 50+ years.
I like the original version. 
I like the other versions that have come out (which most of them were sadly under explored). 
I even like the current version that is out in your local/online comic book store (it’s one of the bright spots in the New 52 for me).
But I feel like that with a number of things in comics: you aren’t suppose to like them all. You are to take a side & with Earth 2, the side you are to take is the side of the Original. There is no taking the other side(s) because if you do: your wrong!
But why? 
Because it’s not Earth 2!
Sure it is. It’s right there on the cover! It’s just not the one you want.
NO! It’s not Earth 2! It’s not the Justice Society!
And this is a bad thing? They can’t take a concept, rework it & do something "new" with it. The current Earth 2 book certainly is "not your father’s Earth 2" but I think that was sort of the point. Wasn’t that point of the entire New 52 relaunch? Take a concept you already know & do something else with it, something that might appeal to the comic book reader of today? They haven’t completely changed it all into something else then DC would be printing Tangent Comics again (which I'd be ok with, I liked Tangent).
I see the “It’s not the Justice Society” comment a lot when people are talking about the Earth 2 book & that comment is understandable since that team is the one that is most closely associated with the Earth (Them & Infinity Inc.). Earth 2 is 20+ issues into it’s run & still no Justice Society in sight, there hasn’t even been a reference to such a thing. There has only been passing references to even having the heroes running about Earth 2 all band together into 1 team. Yes, the heroes have banned together but that was to combat a threat they couldn't fight by themselves, there has been no talk of if they'll stay together afterwards.
An Earth 2 without a Justice Society? I for one am ok with this. I came into the book not thinking this would be a return to the Earth 2 of old because I knew this would not happen. That concept would not work in the New 52. I had faith in writer James Robinson that he would do something interesting with the book & he had (He has since left the book to do other things, like the Fantastic Four for Marvel & 2 issues in: it looks to be an interesting run on the book).
I have been enjoying seeing who shows up in the book & seeing how they have changed. I wanted to see what this new world held for us. Sure, there has been some stupid things sprinkled through out. This is the New 52 after all! I want to see where this trip takes us. If we do eventually get a Justice Society somewhere down the road: cool! If not: I’m fine with that too.
If want to see the Earth 2 of old have a bunch of comics to tide me over & I can always buy a bunch more back issues if I want too also. This new Earth 2 in no way invalidates the Earth 2 of old, they are just 2 worlds vibrating different frequencies :)

No comments: