Thursday, February 23, 2012

This is Entry 249: The State of the New 52, Part 1

Part 1

------

All Star Western
Writers: Justin Gray & Jimmy Palmiotti
Artist: Moritat

I did not read this series past Issue 1 on this book. Why? It wasn't bad but then there wasn't really anything to really grab me to want to pick up issue 2. It's not that the writing wasn't bad. I have read stuff by the writing team of Gray & Palmiotti in the past that I did enjoy. The art by Moritat was nice. I did feel that it fit the setting quite nicely. I could see that there was a mystery being set up in this issue, I just wasn't sure I wanted to wait around to see that mystery unfold over the next couple of issues. I'm not a big "western" kind of guy & I haven't read many Jonah Hex comics in the past so I'm not sure what I was expecting from this comic.  

I would consider to pick up this storyline/mystery when it's collected in a trade paperback to see what I missed out on.




Batgirl
Writer: Gail Simone
Artist: Ardian Syaf
Cover Artist: Adam Hughes

*sigh* Oh... Batgirl.

I sort of came into this comic partly not wanting to like it & partly wanting it to change my mind on the whole "Barbra Gordon is Batgirl again" idea. What I wanted in Issue 1 was 1 question answered. That question was "How did she get up out of the wheelchair?" None that might of been too much to ask for a 1st issue. Maybe just something to explain why she was up & around again. Well... that question was answered just not very well (at least according to me). She was paralyzed from the waist down from a gunshot worn inflicted by The Joker (Ala The Killing Joke). Then 3 years later, one morning a "miracle" (the comics' own word) happened & she could walk again.

WHAT?

I just don't understand why this part of Barbra's backstory needed to make it's way over into the "New 52". They could have easily just left it out & done something else with her. They could have done anything with her. They were basically giving a chance to do a "clean slate" with her.

They could have just done how she was pre-Killing Joke. Brought her back to a more "classic" version of Batgirl. But then I have a problem with that. Most people who read comics today have never read a present day story with Barbra Gordon as Batgirl in them, if they have seen Barbra as BG it's in a flashback or some other media (Movies, TV, Cartoons, etc.). I know I haven't unless I read some old Batman comics from the 60's, 70's or 80's. In the 20 years I have read comics it's been either Cassandra Cain or Stephanie Brown. I quite liked the Stephanie Brown version of Batgirl & her series. It's what I wished this series was (a young girl trying to juggle being Batgirl & all her other responsibilities). I did read this series until Issue 4 hoping it would have gotten better, It didn't. That is sad, I wanted to like this book. I have never read a lot by Gail Simone, I keep hearing she's a great writer. From what little I had read I'd say she's ok. This kind of degrades my shakey opinion her.


Batwoman
Co-Writer & Artist: J.H. Williams III
Co-Writer: W. Haden Blackman

*sigh* This was a book I was excited to read. I happen to like the the art by Williams. He does wonderful stuff. The past Batwoman stuff (written by Greg Rucka) was really good. But.... I didn't read this past Issue 1. Why? This book was to come out way before the "New 52" happened. Like 6-9 months before. There was a preview/Issue 0 for this series in January/February 2011 which I read & enjoyed. Then the series didn't come out until it was part of the New 52 and sort of read like it was still part of the Pre-New 52. That was a bit off putting. Also, by that point I had lost what enthusiasm/interest I once had with the series. I wasn't just going to buy the book for the pretty art (which as I'm told isn't even done by Williams anymore & that was a major selling point for many people).



Catwoman
Writer: Judd Winick
Artist: Guilem March

Oh... Catwoman. What are we going to do with you?

By Issue 4: stop reading you that's what. :)

I was kind of excited to read this book. I think both the writer & artist on this book are good. They have done stuff I have enjoyed in the past. But..... I just lost interest in this book. I think I gave this book a few more issues that other people did. What with how they ended Issue 1 with (Batman & Catwoman having sex). I at least wanted to see want happen after that (not much).

I wanted to like you. I really did. This should have been a good book: Good Writer, Good Artist, Good Character. But it just didn't do it for me. There were other books I was just enjoying more then you. So at Issue 4, I stopped reading you. Should have done that at 3 but I gave you one more issue to see you could turn it around (you didn't).

------

That's it for this part of the "State of the New 52". I know that sort of downer to end things on. I promise you: it gets better. There are books coming up that I did actually like!

I'll be back with the other 11 books later. Until then, Stay Jazzy everybody!

- Brian

No comments: