Saturday, July 23, 2011

This is Entry 214: Brian on the Aisle #9

So.... Captain America came out this weekend & what did I go see? THOR of course!

As I mentioned before there is a theater a few blocks from my house & they are a "second Run" theater. Most everything there has already left the first run theaters by now. So if you don't mind waiting a few months (Like me) so can see some cool movies & with an added bonus: Every movie not matter when it's shown during the day costs you $3.

They have Thor playing & I had not seen Thor yet. So I could walk from my house & see Thor for 3 dollars or I could pay a whole lot more & go a few miles more to go see Captain America? Hmmm....

------


First off: I thought it was awesome! Sure it was about 2 hours long but it didn't feel that way (as some movies do). There was a smattering of jokes worth laughing at, cool cameos (Both by Stan Lee & Hawkeye), cool visuals, good villains, some nice nods to the comics (Thor's assumed name, the phrase "Journey into Mystery" & the visual design of the movie).

In watching it I thought back to the last comic book movie I had seen Green Lantern. Why was Thor Good & GL not so? They do have some comparable points. The biggest is both have a chunk of their film not take place on earth. Thor fleshed out their other world where GL didn't. Also, GL's other world (Oa) was just too darn dark even in the light. Thor's other world (Asgard) never got that dark even in the dark :) Another thing: Love interests. In Thor she actually did something, furthered the plot & had some character to her. In GL: not so much. In Thor they went with the villain you wanted (Loki) & threw in some cool secondary villains (The Frost Giants). With GL they didn't go with the right villain (Parallax instead or Sinestro) & threw in a pointless secondary villain (Hector Hammond). I should stop harping on the GL movie but it's hard not to, there is so much wrong with it.

But I don't have much move about Thor that hasn't been said elsewhere. So I'll just end this post here.

Thor: Good! Go see it if you haven't already. I give it 3 & half Hammers in a crater out in the New Mexican dessert out of 5!

Most likely the next post will talk about the info reveled by DC Comics about "the New 52" at this weekend San Diego Comic Con. Look for the in a next week or so.

Until then: Stay Jazzy!

- Brian

No comments: