Monday, May 23, 2011

This is Entry 198: the 1990's & Goodbad/Badbad Comics

I know I haven't posted in awhile but I've been distracted by other things (not a good excuse but I was). What are those other things? Either stuff not worth mentioning or stuff I'm working on for future entries so I can't tell you what it is at the moment. :)

On Free Comic Book Day a few weeks ago I was at a sale: 1 Dollar bought you 3 comics. I spent 5 dollars. Among the books I bought this one:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Now why did I buy this comic book? Am I an X-Force fan? no. I bought it because of what it is: an example of early 1990s' comic excess. There is so much wrong with what it going on (the cover & inside): The art & character design is flawed. There is so much wrong with this comic but I love it! :)

This is comic is from when I started reading comics. This might explain the love I have for comics of this type. I know it's bad but I can't help myself. I also feel that one should know what the bad is to truly know what is good. This is Good Bad: Something that is bad & you think about all that is better then it but still feel that it has a place. One can still enjoy something that is Good Bad or learn to enjoy it. There is also Bad Bad which I will have a whole entry devoted to a comic I feel is Bad Bad. What is Bad Bad? It is something that is bad but doesn't have a place, something that didn't need to exist but it does! Now each persons definition of what exactly is Good Bad & Bad Bad may change from person to person depending on their tastes.

That's all I have for you at the moment. More is coming. I promise!

Until then: Stay Jazzy!

- Brian

T-Minus 2

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I worry for that poor Adam X boy's safety. He's got sharp blades attached to his shoulder, armband, wristband, and pants pocket, and probably other places we can't see from that drawing alone. One false move and he'll end up bleeding to death.

Brian said...

In the 90's people lived dangerously like that!

And if he did cut himself I sure he could get a bandage from Cable or any of the other members of X-Force. What with all the pouches they have on their costumes. They must have one in at least one of those pouches, right?

And thanks for replying!

Lindsay said...

X-Treme to the Max! Ha ha!

That art style is one of the things that annoys me the most about comics from the 1990s, too --- although that cover's not the worst example of it that I've seen! I'd consider Stryfe in "X-Cutioner's Song" to be a much more advanced case of Excessively Pointy Armor Plating Syndrome ... you can hardly see the guy under his stupid outfit!

Brian said...

yeah. Stryfe definitely is suffering from E.P.A.P.S. (Excessively Pointy Armor Plating Syndrome).

and Thanks for Replying!