Friday, August 28, 2009

This is Entry 106: Comics!



This comic comes from Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal

But this post is not just to show off the funny that is [i]SMBC[/i] but to review Comic Books: the last few weeks! And there has been some awesome stuff that has come out!

---------


Marvel

Agents of Atlas #9: Now I like Jeff Parker's stuff as anyone who has read this blog should know. But I wasn't really feeling this book. Now i thought the Mini-Series that preceded this was awesome but I wasn't sure about the ongoing series. But after the last couple issues I'm totally on board! We are getting into the meat of what the story is & that meat is Awesome!

Mighty Avengers #28: Now I've read every issues of this series, even during Secret Invasion when it's wasn't really an "Avengers" book but but I've really been enjoying the book post SI. Dan Slott is doing a kick ass job with the book.

Avengers: The Initiative #27: I was worried that this book might have been cancelled do to how it came to be & the aftermath from SI but am happy to see it continue. Highlight of the this issue: The return of Emery Schuab (first seen in Issue #13 & then glimpsed in last issue)! I like that he's back & look forward to see where he goes. I also look forward to seeing where the book goes, too.

The Incredible Hercules #132: I had heard things about this books (good things) & heard that The Agents of Atlas would appear in this book in a few issues I decided to pick of this issue to see if the book was cool. And It is: the art is nice (Reilly Brown) & the nice is good, too (Greg Pak & Fred Van Lente). Will continue to pick it up.

Secret Warriors #7: Still a cool book. There was a kind of sick moment on page 6. Why would Nick Fury do that? There is an easier way to leave a message. But the best moment of the book was between Fury & the Warriors over how much money to take for a night off.

Fantastic Four #570: the first issue with Jonathan Hickman (writer of the FF's Dark Reign mini-series & Secret Warriors) & Dale Eaglesham (former artist on the JSA book). This issue picks up threads from the FF's Dark Reign mini series & where from the looks of where it's going it looks to be interesting. Very Interesting.

Gaurdians of The Galaxy #17: still a good book. Not sure all that is going on since I'm not reading the main "War of Kings" mini-series that this ties into. But the best moment from the book was between Rocket Raccoon, Crystal, Maximus & Groot. Pretext: The space station The Guardians & The Inhumans are on is caught by a giant "Space Squid" (as Rocket Raccoon called it) & they need it to let go of it.

The Scene goes as follows:

Maximus: I suppose we could try--
Groot: I am Groot.
Maximus: Goodness! My Leige, that's an extraordinary good Idea!
Rocket Raccoon (RR): Huh? What is?
Groot: I AM GROOT.
Maximus: Or Course. Of Course! And thus initiating a form of relativistic feedback!
Groot: I AM GROOT.
Maximus: Oh, Sire! Quantum Inhibitors, Too? That last touch is nothing short of genius.
Crystal: The Tree Man is just saying "I am Groot" over and over right?
RR: Maximus is as crazy as a bag of spanners, isn't he?
Maximus, angrily: You should both be ashamed of your prejudices! His Highness King Groot is Royalty! He comes from an ancient and ennobled sap-line! As befits the scion of an elite royal house, he has received the finest education from the most gifted tutors! His grasp of quasi-dimensional super positional engineering alone is breathtaking!
RR, shocked: It is?
Crystal: But he's just saying "I am Groot".
Maximus: Dear Crystal! The mature dendritic form of King Groot's people is robust and heavyweight. Often the organs of acoustic generation become stiff and inflexible. It may sound if he is simply repeating his name, but that is simply due to the hardened formation of his larynx. You must listen to the sigh of breeze beneath it. The nuance of meaning.
(pause)
Maximus: My Lord, you were saying?
Groot: I AM GROOT!
Maximus: Now that is Brilliant! And all we'd need is a socket set and a very long piece of strong!
Crystal (to RR): Lord Maxmius is a crazy as a bag of spanners.
RR (to Crystal): Hey if this works, you and me are going to be really embarrassed.

And you know what: It does. :)

Runways #13: not sure why I still pick up the book, it's got some ok art & some good story moments but nothing really that pushes the books over the "must read" mark. But I still do, waiting for more stories like from Issue 10.

Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers #4: the end to a cool mini-series & a on-going series is forth coming next year.

The Marvels Project #1: The Marvel's 70th anniversary project by Ed Brubaker & Steve Epting which has a tagline of: How do you create Tomorrow? The book take place during WWII & tells the story of how the "Marvel Universe" came to be. I know it's covers the 1940's & all that is going on but am hoping it goes into the '50's & maybe the '60's, too. But I'll wait & see.

Marvel Comics #1: a spruced up (original art with new coloring) reprint of the first comic that Timely Comics (that become Marvel Comics in the 1960's) ever published.

---------


DC Comics

Blackest Night #2: not a cool as BN #1 but still cool. The scene at Hawk & Dove's graves makes me wonder. The Aquaman & the Mystic stuff was really cool.

Blackest Night: Batman #1: kick ass! It's fleshes out Deadman's scene from BN #2 & was the coolest part of the book. But the rising of some of the dead Bat Villains was also pretty cool (Ventriloquist!) Look forward to the other 2 parts.

Blackest Night: Superman #1: Not as cool as BN:B but still cool. It does make he wonder about how one person got there since I thought they were in a whole other dimension. Still worth picking up.

Blackest Night: Titans #1: Awesome on almost the same level as BN:B. This also features the a version of Hawk & Dove's graves which still makes me wonder: what is that all about? In this comic, we see the current Dove & makes me wonder about her. Beast Boy & Terra: a bit creepy (for a obvious reasons). The scene at the end with Troia: creepy (for different reasons).

Green Lantern #45: which ties into BN & is a fit between Sinestro & Star Sapphire for the most part. The part at the end with Agent Orange was pretty cool, too.

Superman Secret Files 2009: a guide (text pages & short stories) to all the characters involved in the Superman books as of late. Best story: Double Act.

The Super Books for the last few weeks are: Action Comics #880, Superman #691 & Supergirl #44. It's good stuff but not much I want to saw.

Superman Annual #14: Origins of Mon-El & his homeworld of Daxam. Good stuff, Interesting stuff.

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen Special #2: With the story's title & what happens at the end I look forward to seeing what happens to Jimmy in the future.

Adventure Comics #1: a "relaunch" of sorts of the decades old comic which prominently featured Superboy (a young Kal-El) & The Legion of Super Heroes. So the new one has Superboy (Kon-El) with the Legion as a Second feature. With this book it maybe the only one to have a second feature I like as much or maybe more then the "main" story. But I will say one thing: Long Live Bowling! :)

Power Girl #4: good stuff all around. Good writting, Good art. Good book.

Booster Gold #23: with Blair Butler on the Cover! She looked at bit washed on the cover I got but it's still cool (Sidenote: I'd like one of those shirts). Even if it has little to do with the story inside. :) The story is cool & the second feature of Blue Beetle appears to be going to be more connected with the "main" story of BG.

Batgirl #1: the book that follows up on some of threads from "Battle for the Cowl" & the Oracle mini series from that event. As for who the new Batgirl was I was bit disappointed. Who I thought it could have been (It wasn't) & my other thought didn't pan out either. But it's a cool book, I'd stya with for a storyline or so to see where it goes.

Batman: Streets of Gotham #3: Cool & where it is going is cool, too. The second feature could stay or go.

Batman #689: cool cover & good book. I like the depiction of Batman in this book.

Detective Comics #856: The art is was sells me on the book. The story is pretty cool, too. Could also do without the second feature in this book, too.

Gotham City Sirens #3: This issue was awesome! It's didn't focus on the Sirens but on Edward Nigma (The Riddler).

Justice Society of America #30: The new Doctor Fate makes an appearance. Best line of the Book is from Cyclone: See, I could never decide between Dogs and Cats myself. Which is why I have a monkey! The line doesn't have anything to do with Dr. Fate but it's a great line. :) I'm also finding I'm liking Magog even less & less as issues go on.

The Flash Rebirth #4: I was thinking recently "I haven't read a new issues of the Flash Rebirth in awhile!" & then a new issue comes out. Still a cool series with some really cool moments.

Final Crisis Aftermath: Dance #4: The book is loosing it coolness. The first issue was really cool & has slide down from there. It's still good with good art. But could better, not sure how.

---------


2 More Books:

Unwritten #4: probably the best, most inventive book I've read this year.

Doctor Who #2: good book.

---------


That's it for the New Comics I have. I know a short post. :) I do have some Graphic Novels yet to go over & some Back issues but those will wait until another post.

Until then: Stay Jazzy!

- Brian

No comments: