Thursday, August 20, 2009

This is Entry 105: Comics!

So, last Friday I posted the what Marvel comics I had built up over the past few months & so I'm back yet again to review more Comics! But this it's....

DC Comics

Special note: this is everything up to 2 weeks ago. Those comics are coming soon. Like maybe tomorrow. :)

Superman #688-690: I'm enjoying the Mon-El storyline. The reveal in 688 was a nice twist, 689 was neat "world tour" & 690 sucked. The cover show that a fight between Steel & Atlas is going to happen inside. It does for 11 pages but it stops there. 1 problem: The book is longer then 11 pages. The rest of the book is short set-up scenes for other things i.e. "You like this, well it's continued in this book". But I guess I shouldn't have been surprised since the Issue's title is "The Setup". Now the stuff it does setup is for the most part interesting but it was not what I expected.

Action Comics #878, 879 plus 1 annual: I think has been one of the weaker Super books. It just seems to trod along. Also, starting in #879 there is a "Second Feature" of Captain Atom who hasn't been seen in year (partly due to the fact that he's been in a different dimension but that is another story) & it doesn't connect with the "first" feature is anyway. I could do without it. The Annual was cool. I thought the way the "flashback sequences" in the Phantom Zone was really inventive & cool. The story had it's moments.

Supergirl #42 & 43: 42 is the end of the "who is Superwoman?" storyline. 43 was a nice story of Kara moving beyond what all had been happen in her life recently (death of her father being the main thing).

Superman: World of New Krypton #4-6: Or am I've started calling it "WoNK". :) 5 is probably the best issue of the mini-series so far & discusses "what and/or who would you die for?" 6 has Kal-El returning to but for how long?

Detective Comics #854 & 855: these are the first 2 issues with Batwoman as the headliner. The art is was pretty much sells me on the book (it's by J.H. Williams III by the way). The story is also pretty good. This book also has a second feature of The Question, which makes since since the two share a common past. As for the story it's ok but could do without it. Plus, the art for the Question story is so different that it is almost off putting.

Gotham City Sirens #1 & 2: Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy & Catwoman all together in one book & written by Paul Dini! A fun book. The "villain" from issue #1 was great & the cliffhanger was great, too. The pay off in #2 was inventive.

Batman: Streets of Gotham #1 & 2: another good Bat book by Dini. I like what he's doing with Hush. This book also has a second feature of Manhunter & the nice things is that her civilian id appears in the first feature so there is some connectivity. As for the story it's ok with some good art. One thing I've found with these features is the story in each issue is too short, they need like a page or two more story because I feel at times a bit rushed.

Batman #687 & 688: 687 was a epilogue to the whole "Battle for the Cowl" stuff, a much better end then the actual end of BftC was. 688 has some great moments between Dick & Alfred.

Blackest Night #1: Wholly Crap! This book is awesome! So much awesomeness happened in that issue I'm not sure I can put into words. It's just Awesome!

Green Lantern #43 & 44: 43 is a BN prologue where we get the origin of The Black Hand. 44 ties into BN #1.

The Flash Rebirth #3: still cool. But haven't seen a issue is awhile or at least it seems awhile.

Booster Gold #21 & 22: 21 might be the first time the "new" Batman appears in that isn't his own books. The story as always is cool. The reason why the 2 meet is also well thought out. Like other books: there is a second feature of Blue Beetle which makes sense & is interesting for the most part. Each part works.

Justice Society of America #27-29: 27 & 28 are by Jerry Ordway, both story & art which is cool. 29 is the first issue with Bill Willingham as the writer & Matthew Sturges on art. It also starts off a new storyline which as some interesting stuff that I look forward to how they turn out.

Power Girl #2 &3: cool book. Good art with a cool story.

Final Crisis Aftermath: Dance #2 & 3: an interesting book with some interesting ideas.

Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds #5: Finally! Issue 1 came out last August & the issues sputtered out every couple of months. The story is cool with some great George Perez art. The end was really cool & unexpected.

Wendesday Comics #1, 2 & 4: really interesting ideas. But I decided that I'd wit until the collected edition (That should be interesting to see how they do it) because I wanted more then 1 page of a story at a time.

-----------

So, that's it's for the DC Comics I have a few comics that aren't Marvel or DC.

The Unwritten #2 & 3: a really cool series! One of the best things I've read in awhile.

Mysterious The Unfathomable #5 & 6: cool series. ^ was the end of the miniseries. I'd read a follow up.

Irredeemable #1: an interesting idea with some cool visuals.

Star Trek Alien Spotlight: Q: I like Q but didn't really like this book. It wasn't anything beyond a so so appearance from the TV show. I guess I had my expectations set to high after the Tribbles' issue.

Doctor Who #1: a new series featuring the current Doctor (David Tennant) & the book was as good as the TV show. The art was bit odd but not that much.

-------------

That is the back log & as I said earlier I might be back tomorrow with more Book reviews. Or I might not be. :)

Until then: Stay Jazzy!

- Brian

No comments: