Friday, April 11, 2008

This is Entry 30: Comics!

Ok, here it is. I'm going to finally blog about all the comics I've built up over the last month or so. This might the first of a multipart posting. I don't know, depends on how much I want to write this time. I of course have the 3 major sections: DC Comics, Marvel Comics & smaller press stuff.

Let's do something a little different this time, let's start off with the "smaller press stuff" pile. Also they are the smallest pile of the three.

The first up is a first for this blog, it's a comic from the Bongo Comics Group, the people who bring up The Simpsons Comics, Futurama Comics & a few years a go produced the really cool mini series: Heroes Anonymous (if you can find it, I hight recommend you check it out). The comics I picked up was Simpsons Super Spectacular #6, it's a book that pokes fun at Comic Books themselves. It hits some points right on the head. Added Bonus', Bonuses', Boni, whatever: The characters from the Radioactive Man comics get some play here. Also, almost every super hero identity that a Simpsons character has assumed over the years in the comics is also here.

Next up: Umbrella Academy #6, it's the last issue of this interesting mini-series. But in reading the the letter column at the end, there will a 2nd series. So, yippie to that!

Lastly from this section are Doctor Who Comics. IDW Press is currently putting out 2 Who related series: Doctor Who Classics which feature reprints from the 1970's with Tom Baker as The Doctor & the simply titled Doctor Who, featuring the current Doctor (as played by David Tennant). As I've posted before the Classic Who book has at least one panel that is laugh out loud funny, both in context but even funnier out of context. I have 2 issues & here are there panels:

Issue 4 presented us with these 2 Panels (I edited out 1 panel, hence the white part):

Photobucket

Issue 4 also has a fun little story called "Time Slip" where The Doctor got caught in some space slime creature thing that reverted him back through his previous incarnations. The art's a bit odd but it's a fun story.

Issue 5 had these 2 panels, I like them both:

PhotobucketPhotobucket

The book featuring the current Doctor is good. The first 3 pages of Issue 1 give you a nice quick overview of who The Doctor is, but I think you'd already know if you were going to be picking this book up. The 2 issues I've read so far are on par with ok episodes of the TV show, nothing all that truly awesome but all still pick up the book.

So, that's for the smaller press stuff. Who to talk about next. DC or Marvel? Marvel or DC? A question that has plagued Nerdom for decades. Hmmmm....

Ok, Let's just go for

Photobucket

Why? It comes alphabetically first. That's why!

So, we have the last two issues of the most kick ass storyline I've read all year: Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes(Action Comics #857-863). Issue 862 has a the update to a personal favorite team of mine: The Legion of Substitute-Heroes. I've always been a fan of the somewhat out of the normal. The conclusion was good, a bit lack lust but at the end there was a 2 page ad to for something to look forward to: Superman & the Legion of Super-Heroes Vs. Superman-Prime & the Legion of Super-Villians. You know who writing it? Geoff Johns, the same guy who wrote this LSH story. you know who's drawing it? George Perez! Wahoo! It looks like it's going to be awesome!

Next up is the book I don't know why I buy but still do: All-Star Batman & Robin the Boy Wonder. This issue is pretty much one long fights between Bats & Hal Jordan, The Green Lantern. There is a lot of yellow in this, for obvious reasons. :)

Next up: Justice Society of America. I'm still not sure I like the whole "Thy Kingdom Come" storyline that's going on. I liked Kingdom Come, even the sequel had some good parts. But I'm not sure about this. It seems to have been set up for the last few issues & not enough action. At least in #14 we got some fighting & with it came more KC connections.

The next 2 book on down the pile are issues of The Brave & the Bold, Issue 10 featured was split into 2 parts. Part 1: Superman & the Silent Knight. Part 2: Aquaman & the orginal Teen Titans (Robin, Wonder Girl, Kid Flash & Aqualad). Issue 11 is an interesting team up of Superman with his Earth 3 counterpart of Ultraman. The best part of the issues was Mixyezpitelik, the Earth 3 counterpart to Mr. Mxyzptlk.

Were almost there, I'm half way down my DC pile. Then there is the Marvel & we're down (for now). Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Much like I'm not sure about the KC story line in JSA, I'm not sure about having Blue Beetle in Booster Gold. (Added Bonus, Issue #8 has Anthro in it, who part of the the kick ass miniseries: Doctor 13: Architecture & Morality). Speaking of Blue Beetle & Booster Gold, Issue 43 of Justice League Unlimited is about them & is a fun issue.

A few posts back I talk about Tangent Comics (Entry 20, to be exact), well that universe is back & in it's own 12 issue Mini-Series, called Tangent: Superman's Reign. I have the first issue & it look good, so I pick up 2.

Recently the animated version of the kick butt mini series DC: The New Frontier came out with a slightly different title (Justice League: The New Frontier) so to celebrate/cash in on that, DC released a Special book with a few new stories in that dimension/time period. Best Parts: Rip Hunter's introduction & the 1st story.

And now a word from Julius Schwartz:

Photobucket
(This panel was from the Ambush Bug Nothing Special)

I picked up one of DC's Secret Files And Origins books, this one features Superman's Villains (circa 1998). There was one thing that I was a bit funny. In the Super-Villains Time Line, it claims that 4 years ago Crisis on Infinite Earths happened. What? That happened in '85 not '94. In '94 you, being Superman kicked the bucket & not in '97 as this time line claims. Man, DC needs to figure how to tell time. :)

Lastly, is issue 31 of Cartoons, Cartoons, series featuring many of the Cartoon Network's cartoons. This issues covers story is Ed, Edd & Eddy. I do so love me some Ed, Edd & Eddy.

Well, I think this post is long enough. I shall hold off on Marvel until next entry.

Stay Jazzy!

-Brian

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In it something is also to me this idea is pleasant, I completely with you agree. levitra It is remarkable, rather amusing message

Anonymous said...

I consider, that you are not right. Write to me in PM.